Oswald Stimm was born in Vienna, Austria in 1923. After returning from captivity in England, he studied sculpture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna from 1946 to 1951 with Josef Müllner and Franz Santifaller. In 1951 he moved to Argentina, South America and returned to Vienna in 1965. In 1971 he exhibited works created in Argentina at the Vienna Secession. From 1973 to 1982 he accepted a teaching position at the Académie des Beaux Arts in Kinshasa, Zaire, Africa. In 1982 he returned to Vienna once again. The Künstlerhaus Galerie in Graz showed a cross-section of his work in 2010 (curator Peter Bogner). He was the recipient of numerous prizes, including the Theodor Körner Prize in 1977 and the City of Vienna's Würdigungspreis für bildende Kunst in 1989. Oswald Stimm died in Vienna in 2014.
Oswald Stimm preferred to use random everyday materials and found objects from nature and technology in his work. In a very personal further development of the constructivism of the Russian avant-garde, he found his own constructively informal way. He created characteristic objects from tubes and wooden boards as abstract constructions, always oriented towards space, in a field of tension between dissolution of form and development of form.read more read less