Ingeborg Strobl was born in 1949 in Schladming, Styria, Austria. She studied graphic arts at the University (then College) of Applied Arts in Vienna from 1967 to 1972 and at the Royal College of Art in London, United Kingdom, from 1972 to 1974, where she earned a Master of Arts (MA) in ceramics. At the same time she began experimenting with photography. In 1987 (until 1992) she was a founding member of the feminist artist group DIE DAMEN, together with ONA B., Evelyne Egerer and Birgit Jürgenssen. From 1999 to 2001 she taught design at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna. In 1993 she was awarded the Prize of the City of Vienna for Visual Arts. In 2000 she was honored with the appreciation award of the province of Styria. In 2008 she received the appreciation award for artistic photography from the Federal Ministry for Education, the Arts and Culture. Ingeborg Strobl lived and worked in Vienna, where she passed away in 2017. The Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (mumok), to which Ingeborg Strobl bequeathed her artistic estate, honored the artist posthumously with a major retrospective in 2020.
Ingeborg Strobl worked conceptually in all traditional two- and three-dimensional media, including collages and sculptures, some for public spaces, such as the 1997 memorial for lost biodiversity, Paasdorf, Lower Austria, and designed projects for "Kunst am Bau". During her active time with DIE DAMEN she was also active in the field of performance.read more read less