Gerhardt Moswitzer was born in 1940 in Maria Lankowitz/Voitsberg, Styria, Austria. From 1955 to 1959 he completed an apprenticeship as a toolmaker. From 1959 to 1961 he attended the technical school class for commercial art and sculpture at the Federal Technical School for Construction and Applied Arts in Graz as an extraordinary student. In 1961/1962 he set up an improvised living workshop in a clay pit in Kowald. In the 1960s Moswitzer made study trips to Paris, Italy and Spain, in the 1970s he traveled repeatedly to the United States and in 1995 to Brazil. From 1974 he lived in Vienna and worked in a state studio in Vienna's Krieau. He was a member of the Graz Secession and the Vienna Secession, and in 1977 was a founding member of the Graz "Group 77," which split from the Graz Secession, and he belonged to the Forum Stadtpark. In 1969 the Vienna Secession dedicated a solo exhibition to him. In 1970 the artist participated in the Biennale die Venezia, Italy. He received numerous awards for his work, including the Theodor Körner Foundation Prize in 1999, the City of Vienna Prize for Sculpture in 1981 and the Josef Krainer Prize in 1998. Gerhard Moswitzer passed away in Vienna in 2013.
Gerhardt Moswitzer was an Austrian sculptor who overcame the classical materials of wood and stone to make sculptures from metal and scrap metal. In his later years he worked as a media artist in the field of animation and experimental music.read more read less