Franz Graf was born in 1954 in Tulln, Austria. He studied at the University (then College) of Applied Arts in Vienna with Oswald Oberhuber. From 1979 to 1984 he worked closely with Brigitte Kowanz. From 1997 to 2006 he held a visiting professorship at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. In 1990 he received the City of Vienna Prize for Fine Arts, in 2000 the Recognition Prize for Fine Arts of the Province of Lower Austria, and in 2010 the Austrian Art Prize for Fine Arts. He lives and works in Vienna.